Wednesday 12 September 2007

Do I want to own a business or own a job?

What's the difference I hear you ask? PLENTY is the answer.

The thought of running your own business can bring a lot of excitement to someone who is bored with their current situation and is looking for a change.

What most people don't realize are the sacrifices that many business owners make on their path to business success. I can assure you that it's not all easy going. Why do you think there is such a high incidence of businesses failing in the first few years of operation?

A business owner who has to be in attendance the whole time for it to continue to operate isn't in fact a business owner at all. They are a job owner.

Likewise, someone who can't take any time off work for a holiday without having to close the whole place down is also a job owner. At least an employee still gets holiday pay when they go away, unlike the business (job) owner. Not to mention all the overheads (eg. rent) that still need to be paid whilst you're away not earning an income.

This has probably been one of the most difficult obstacles for me to overcome in my business, made all that more difficult due to the personal nature of my physiotherapy and clinical pilates business.

Fortunately, by choosing the right people and through careful planning, I can now enjoy not having to go into work on weekends, taking some mornings and afternoons off during the week to spend time with my family, and having a business still operational whilst taking some time off to rest on holiday. I can't emphasise enough the importance of these work and life choices.

So, before you take that plunge into the unknown world of a business owner, ask yourself what you want to be: a business owner or job owner.

2 comments:

Chris Carlaw said...

Hi Luke,

Its interesting your comment about some sacrifices and the harsh realities of running your own business.
I have a desire next year to run my own business. I know like anything there are highs and lows. Its if you enjoy what you are doing and fulfillment is whats important. I feel if im being fulfilled, then the lows will not be that significant. The important thing is to know that there can be lows through the journey

Regards,

Chris Carlaw
www.chriscarlaw.com

Luke Goodwin said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the comment. It definitely is hard work running your own business, but as you said, if you are enjoying what you're doing, then the highs tend to always outweigh the lows. Good luck with your future endeavours and be sure to come back some time.
Regards, Luke