Tuesday 21 August 2007

Goal setting - where do I set the bar?

One of my favourite sayings is "Set your goals high enough to inspire you, yet low enough to encourage you".

In my opinion this saying holds very true for someone looking to start out on a new business venture or someone wanting to grow their existing business.

There is no point setting goals so far beyond reach that you are never going to come close to achieving them. All this will do will discourage you to continue on with your business ideas.

Equally, there are also problems associated with not setting your goals high enough. This can lead to boredom and the possibility of missed opportunities.

Of course, the level at which you set your goals is going to vary from person to person and business to business. A big part of being a successful entrepreneur is knowing where to set the bar.

Let me know your thoughts on goal setting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree on you point base on traditional management in setting up a goal, however its all depend to your current resources and skills. I enjoy reading this article, thanks for sharing.