Friday 13 July 2007

Don't be a "gunna".

Throughout the day I often have people ask me how I got started with my own business. My simple reply to them is that I had an idea and a vision for my future. Pretty simple really!

Unfortunately this alone is not enough to run a successful business. You actually then have to go and "do" something.

I know of several friends and clients of mine who, every time I speak to them, tell me of their next big business venture. I think with one of my clients, I've heard of perhaps 6-7 different ideas in the past 12 months alone. To this day I don't think any of these ideas have actually got off the ground. These people I refer to as "gunnas".

I'm sure you all know of a "gunna" or two. They're "gunna" do this; they're"gunna" do that; they're "gunna" change the world or "gunna" be a millionairre.

Whatever you do, don't become a "gunna". Nothing infuriates me more than people who live and act like this.

I would much rather see people have a crack at getting one (perhaps two) ideas off the ground and seeing how they turn out, than listen to someone who changes with the wind from day to day.

It's all well and good to have a million different ideas, but at some point in time, you actually have to do something.

In the words of the great John Kennedy (the football coach, not the President):
"Don't think, do something!"

What have you done recently?

2 comments:

David said...

Thanks so much for your post on gunnas. it has made me think about my behavior as an entrepreneur and will correct it. when things are not working it is so easy to blame around. for the last 48h i know i have blamed my parents, my ideas, my lack of money, my lack of a mentor, even my clients.... quite awesome!!! the only one to blame is me and lack of hard work. I have got lots of inspirations from your other posts too, so thanks a lot.

I have recently started my own blog, so feel free to drop by and make some comment.

Good Luck!

Luke Goodwin said...

Hi David,

Thanks for the comments. You are quite right that it is always easy to blame everyone else but yourself. Unfortunately though you just have to take responsibility for yourself and you own decisions. Otherwise nothing will ever happen.

Good luck with your business ventures. I will definitely check out your blog.

Be sure to come back soon for some more budding entrepreneur tips.